Gum Diseases

Osseous surgery

04/21/2008

Question:

What are the chances of successful osseous surgeries? My greatest concern is I will go through this surgery and have it not succeed and lose my teeth anyway. Sorry to be so vague.

Answer:

The goal for osseous surgeries is to reach and contour bony defects so that the gum line can be placed where the bone line is. The periodontist opens up a place for the patient to reach and clean root surfaces. Without this surgery, patient will continue to have residual pockets and difficult areas to reach with brushing. Thus, the disease process will continue to cause further tissue breakdown. The success rate of osseous surgery is very well documented and this is based on how much bone loss you have now and on what type of tooth. 

Please ask your periodontist to give you more information about the prognosis of your teeth with and without osseous surgeries. The prognosis with the treatment will be based on how much bone loss you have to start with and are you maintained well following surgical therapy (visiting your doctor periodically to have regular check-ups and cleanings).

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology