Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Colorectal Diseases

Bloody stool



My husband had bright red blood in his stool today. Right now we have No insurance. Should he go to the emergency room?


If he is passing large amounts of clots or blood, feels dizzy or light-headed, he should go to the ER.

Ideally you can take him to a clinic where they can examine him for the cause of the bleeding, and evaluate it in a non-emergent setting with tests like colonoscopy, CT scans, etc.

For more information:

Go to the Colorectal Diseases health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD
Professor of Surgery
Chief of Colorectal Surgery Division
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati