Spine and Back Health

Matress type

03/11/2008

Question:

I have a very bad neck but do not require surgery yet. I sleep on my side and lately my shoulders ache badly. I`m looking for a new matress and need help determining the type of mattress to purchase. Please help! I can`t find any sights to get help with this question and the matress options have changed since I bought my matress nine years ago. Thank you.

Answer:

Hello, thank you for your question. There is no good scientific data that I am aware of (nor that my colleagues have heard about, as best as I can tell), regarding this subject. It's a very individualized decision. For someone with a neck problem, the key is to ensure that your head and neck are neutral. This has more to do with what sort of pillows you use than the mattress itself. Particularly for a side sleeper, if your head is tilted up or down while you sleep, you'll be more likely to be sore by morning. Other than this, there's not much guidance I can give you. Good luck, and good health!

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery