Inherited Disorders and Birth Defects

Second opinion

02/21/2008

Question:

I am 37 years old. My husband and I have 2 children. Our oldest child is 3 years old and does not have any mental or physical problems. Our second child is 1 year old and has Down`s Syndrome. I recenly had a miscarriage at 10 weeks. The genetic testing of the fetus reveals Trisomy 9,18, and 21,( at which our doctor reports is quite unusual). We understand that our chances of having another child with Down`s Syndrome is 1 in 75 because our risk is greater due to the fact that our son has Down`s Syndrome but because of the genetic testing of the miscarried fetus, are we at even greater risk of having a child with a genetic abnormality. We really want to have another child but have concerns. Genetic counseling informs us that we are at no greater risk. What do you think? Also, How many families have more than one child with Down`s Syndrome. PS My husband and I have had blood tests stating neither one of us carry the Down`s Syndrome gene.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, NetWellness experts try to answer general questions about health. Only a health professional performing a thorough clinical exam is able to evaluate your symptoms or provide a secon opinion. For information about finding another genetics counselor in your area, please consult with the National Society of Genetic Counselors Resource Center.

Go to the Inherited Disorders and Birth Defects health topic, where you can:

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org