Infertility

Ovaries behind the uterus

02/28/2008

Question:

Hello, I have been trying to concieve for over 10 years now. I have an 18 year old son, perfectly healthy. I have been seeing a fertility specialist for about a month. I have been having severe pain during pre-menstral. I had an HSG (Hysterosalpingogram) done along with an Ultrasound and FSG< LH,E2, Progestrone also, everything came back normal except my fallopian tube (right is blocked) and my ovary is behind my uterus. Will I be able to conceive again once the laparoscopy is completed?

Answer:

That will depend upon the laparoscopic findings as well as where your tube is blocked.  Typically, if your tube is blocked on the end, it appears swollen on the x-ray, something that we call a "hydrosalpinx".  In these cases, the tube is typically not repairable.

If your tube is blocked where it begins from the uterus, a telescope can be placed into the uterus (hysteroscope) allowing us to see the opening to the tube.  A thin catheter with a wire can then be inserted into the tubal opening to attempt to open it.  This tends to be more successful than blockage at the end of the tube. 

If your ovary is "behind the uterus", this could be normal or it could represent pelvic scarring, which can also be corrected at the time of laparoscopy.

If there is significant tubal damage, In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) can be a very effective treatment option.

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD