Blood blister on tongue

02/29/2008

Question:

Yesterday, I discovered a very sore place on my tongue. It is very dark - reddish or purple? and is a long oval shape, not unlike a grain of rice, but smaller - maybe half the size or less. It is very far back in my mouth and is on the side of my tongue at about the level where my teeth come together. It seems to hang by one end as you can pivot it around that end. This morning it is not as sore, but my husband is very concerned that I have some horrible disease. What do you think this is, and is it reasonable to wait a week or so before having it checked? It is already less painful than it was... I just kinda hoped it would go away. I am also very prone to `tonsil stones,`if that is relevant. THANKS.

Answer:

The features that you describe: small size, significant soreness and an apparently rapid onset are very suggestive of a condition known formally as transient lingual papillitis. A common term for this is a "lie" bump, because the popular wisdom (probably started by someone's grandmother) held that it occurred if that someone told a lie. You will find additional information about this painful but otherwise innocuous condition in the link below. The bump should definitely improve or disappear on its own within a week. Should it persist, see your dentist. Good luck!

Things That Go Bump in the Mouth

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology