Face and Jaw Surgery

Tooth removal with infected root canal

02/28/2008

Question:

Hi.Three of my top,front teeth have crowns and one has a root canal that had a fake tooth with a post that fell out about 2 years ago.I have a large knot above the root canal and now another knot has developed next to it(infection).I have been to my doctor a couple of times and he has given me antibiotics,but they don`t help.I just want the root canal tooth removed.Is it just a matter of having it pulled,or is it a complicated procedure that requires surgery?Is it expensive? THANK YOU!!!!!!

Answer:

You have an abcess at the root apex that is draining through the gum tissue. It appears this infection developed due to the loss of crown and subsequent leakage of the root. The treatment would be the removal of the tooth and possibly removal of the infected tissue adjacent to it.

This is not a complicated procedure. If left untreated, this problem can develop into a major infection that would require hospitalization, drainage etc. I suggest you see a dentist or preferably an oral surgeon soon and not post-pone it for weeks.

Go to the Face and Jaw Surgery health topic, where you can:

Likith V Reddy, MD, DDS, FACS Likith V Reddy, MD, DDS, FACS