Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Blood clotting in children

02/29/2008

Question:

My daughter is about to have surgery for the removal of her tonsils and adnoids, and the hospital just called asking for a new blood test for clotting because her original test came back on the high side, should I be concerned. What can be done? The surgery is to be done on Tues., Mar. 4th and it is now a week before, please help.

Answer:

Although I am not a pediatric hematologist, it sounds as though your daughter’s physicians are doing routine pre-operative blood work to make sure that she does not have a bleeding tendency or coagulation disorder. It may be nothing at all and related to a spuriously abnormal lab test, or they could find a blood clotting problem that they would want to be aware of before doing any surgery. The doctors will also be interested in knowing if there is a family history of bleeding problems, or if your daughter has had any bleeding-type symptoms (nose bleeds, prolonged bleeding after tooth extractions or other surgeries). These tests are all being done to make sure that your daughter will not have any bleeding complications with the surgery.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine