Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook


Red dye



My son is 2 1/2 and every time he eats or drinks anything with red dye in it, he gets a red rash across his nose and checks, has diarrhea, and vomits. Is this an allergy or a reaction to red dye? (Our doctor does not seem to care, but he gets so sick). Should I be worried? And what can I do for him?


Adverse reactions to various food dyes can occur. Although an allergy can sometimes be demonstrated, this is not so in all cases. However, now that this has happened on several occasions, he should completely avoid red dyed foods or drugs.

For more information:

Go to the Allergies health topic, where you can:

Response by:

I Leonard Bernstein, MD I Leonard Bernstein, MD
Clinical Professor Emeritus
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati