Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

New bridge doesn`t meet opposing teeth

02/29/2008

Question:

I had a new bridge put in to replace one where the adhesive had failed. The new bridge doesn`t come into contact with the opposing teeth at any point. It`s not far off, just enough to draw paper through. I can chew on it but I can`t crush the skin of a grape or corn. It`s annoying because I wake up in the morning having clenched my teeth on the other side. The dentist says the teeth and bridge will rise to meet the upper teeth over a period of months. But I wonder if it will. What do you think?

Answer:

If it is a bridge on front teeth, it should not touch heavily. If it is replacing back teeth, the bite should hold a piece of paper as you alluded to. It is also quite likely that the teeth that chew against this bridge will rise (or lower) to meet your bridge. This type of tooth movement is very common, unless the teeth that chew against your bridge have a bridge also.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Julie A Holloway, DDS, MS, FACP Julie A Holloway, DDS, MS, FACP
Associate Professor of Restorative and Prosthetic Dentistry