Addiction and Substance Abuse

Drug use after having a pulmonary embolism

03/13/2008

Question:

I would like to know the effects and risks of smoking marijuana and smoking crystal meth after having a pulmonary embolism.I resently suffered a pulmonary embolism in Nov 07 and prior to the surgery that lead me to have the pulmonary embolism I smoked marijuana and crystal meth though I have been sober since my embolism I am just curious to what would happen if I relapsed and used again.At this point I`m scared to use drugs again but constantly think about using. Please give me some insights and facts to what would happen if I chose to do drugs again. Thank You

Answer:

Thank you for your question. It sounds like you are doing well - if tentatively - in early sobriety. Early sobriety really lasts for the first 6-12 months and is certainly characterized by some urges and cravings. The urges and cravings are best dealt with by:

With regards to your pulmonary embolus, certainly one of the biggest risk factors for further problems is surgery and the associated bed-rest. The second biggest risk is not being adequately managed with blood thinners after the embolus.

It is very clear that cigarette smoking - and by association MJ smoking - can increase risks of future blood clots. Methamphetamines are associated with blood disorders that can include platelet problems and other coagulation problems as well.

So the bottom line is that staying sober - even from tobacco products - is the best way to protect your health in general AND limit your risk of future blood clots and pulmonary emboli.

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Ted   Parran, MD Ted Parran, MD
Associate Professor of General Medical Sciences