Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Inflamed taste buds

03/06/2008

Question:

My 14yr old daughter has been suffering with these inflamed taste buds for several months now. We have taken her to the doctor, dentist and have gotten no where. We have tried everything from (no sodas, spice food or even toothpaste) We have tried just brushing with baking soda and that seem to iratate them more. She does have braces and has had them on for 1 1/2yrs. It is sometimes so painful she doesn`t want to eat. It now seems that the bumps have moved to the inside of her bottom lip as well. It looks like Transient lingual papillitis but from what I read that goes away after a couple of days. My next step was an allergist. I don`t know what else to do for her. Do you have any advice on this?

Answer:

It would probably be best if your daughter was evaluated by an oral pathologist to determine exactly what the problem is. Transient lingual papillitis would be a possibility. Even though the individual lesions usually last only a few days, that time course assumes that the patient isn't rubbing the sores against her orthodontic bands and therefore keeping these traumatized fungiform papillae from healing.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology