Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Eye and Vision Care

Who to see?



For cataracts, who is the best person to see: an optometrist or an ophthalmologist?


If you have not established yourself with an eye care specialist, I would start out by seeing an optometrist, reason being you need to know whether your cataract has progressed to the point of requiring surgery. If your cataract has progressed to this point, you will then be referred to an ophthalmologist (the surgeon). If it has not progressed to a surgical level, you can be followed and counseled by the optometrist.

I hope this helps your decision.

For more information:

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Melissa M Walters, OD
Assistant Professor of Clinical Optometry
College of Optometry
The Ohio State University