Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

17 month old penis not normal

03/19/2008

Question:

My son is 17 months. He was circumcised shortly after birth. Since then his penis has been inverted. I have to `pop` it out and it comes out then goes back in. My pediatrician has said it was because his pubic fat pad is thick. However, he is only in 50% for weight so how could he be fatty? I have never seen the penis out unless i push around it. I am worried, anxious and stressed for his future. Is this something common? will it require surgery. Do you think I need to see a pediatric urologist? I appreciate your help

Answer:

It is termed a hidden penis, which means that the penis is obscured by the suprapubic fat pad. It occurs in many boys who are overweight. Also, some boys are prone to it because they were born with a webbed penis, in which the natural attachment of the scrotum to the penile shaft is near the head of the penis (glans penis), rather than at the bottom of the penis. Some boys need operative correction; however, the corrective surgery is more complicated than a simple circumcision revision. A visit to a pediatric urologist might be worthwhile.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology