Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook





My grandson is 17 and is very autistic. He is hurting himself more than before, but he is talking better. He is easier to understand and asks more questions than he has in a while. He has been pretty mute for nearly a year or more, only yes or no...Is there any way he can be evaluated more without insurance? My daughter had to quit work to take care of him, I am unable to assist her anymore due to my own personal illness. She doesn`t have insurance to get him to a place recommended in Toledo Ohio, for evaluation...can you steer us in the right direction to get him help? We need to know if the current changes are normal, or are just temporary, HOPEFULLY, he is coming out of some of it.


It is difficult to respond fully to this message without more details; however, given the information shared, the following steps should be taken:

1. He should be enrolled with his County Board of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities.

2. He can probably qualify for Medicaid, which would provide some resources in this area in combination with County Board of MRDD resources. An MRDD service and support administrator (service coordinator/case manager) from the County Board of MRDD can assist with making the proper contacts.

3. If he hasn't used the Bureau of Children with Medical Handicaps yet, that agency will pay for one diagnostic evaluation for autism.

4. Self-injurious behaviors may make his situation a priority for funding and behavioral support programs that may be available, so be sure to emphasize such behaviors when describing his needs.

For more information:

Go to the Autism health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Patricia H Cloppert, BSFS Patricia H Cloppert, BSFS
Faculty Parent Advocate
Program Manager for Parent/Family Support
OSU Nisonger Center
The Ohio State University