Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Children under 11 years of age with an abcess

03/11/2008

Question:

My child is now ten years old. he has no medical problems and was a very healthy baby and child he had an abcessed tooth at age eight and another abcessed tooth at age ten. Both times it was a molar. I want to know what could possibly be causing this. He brushes, has used floride rinses (ACT)and flosses.

Answer:

Teeth abscess due to advanced dental decay. We now know that the decay process is far more complex that we originally thought. Some people are more prone to decay than others, even when brushing and diet habits are similar. Some oral bacteria are far more efficient at causing decay than others, and your child's bacteria are obviously very effective decay-producers. So your child needs to do even more to prevent dental decay. See a pediatric dentist to discuss a preventive program that can be more effective for your child.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Dennis J McTigue, DDS Dennis J McTigue, DDS
Professor of Pediatric Dentistry