Bump inside my ear

03/13/2008

Question:

I have a bump inside my ear. It`s very noticable if you look inside my ear. I have had these in the past, but it consistantly comes back. The last several times, I thought to myself that they were acne. I have popped them before and white/bloody liquids come gushing out. Can you please advise if a doctor visit is necessary? Thank you.

Answer:

It certainly sounds like an evaluation by your primary doctor or an ear, nose and throat specialist would be worthwhile.

To sporadically get something like this is probably tolerable and acceptable. But if its a regularly occurring thing, then seeking treatment and hopefully some type of preventative intervention would seem worthwhile. Skin conditions noted on other parts of the body (e.g. acne, psoriasis, eczema, etc) can occur inside the ear canal as well. But examination is probably the only way to make that type of diagnosis.

Daniel   Choo, MD Daniel Choo, MD
Associate Professor and Director, Division of Otology/Neurotology