Thyroid Diseases

Muscular Diseases Caused By Hypothyroidism

06/23/2008

Question:

About 4 years ago, I was treated for Grave`s disease with radioactive iodine therapy. Since, I have become hypothyroid. For the past six months, I have had a lot of muscular pain throughout my body. I had chiropratic treatment and the chiropractor told me it was a medical condition. I have had numerous x-rays and all show everything is okay. I`ve also had physical therapy. The therapist said it is a medical condition. I am currently seeing an internal medicical doctor. My question is this: Is there a correlation between hypothyroid disorder and muscular problems, such as fibromylagia or others? I am getting so frustrated and I just want help!

Answer:

General answer to your question is that a variety of muscular diseases, causing weakness or pain, have been associated with abnormal thyroid function (both high and low). Almost all of these conditions, however, improve when thyroid status becomes normal by medical therapy, suggesting that if your thyroid levels are normal; your musculoskeletal disease is due to non-thyroid causes. Nevertheless, association of different autoimmune disorders in two organs (muscles and thyroid) can also be considered in your case. I would suggest seeing a neurologist specialized in muscular disease to investigate this further.

Go to the Thyroid Diseases health topic, where you can:

Marzieh  Salehi, MD Marzieh Salehi, MD
Assistant Professor of Endocrinology