Menopause

The use of Premarin vaginal cream

04/21/2008

Question:

I am 42 years old. I had a hysterectomy at 37. My uterus and cervix were removed. I still have my ovaries. I have reoccuring vaginal an yeast infections. The skin of my vaginia has been thinning for several years now. I am experiencing some vaginal dryness along with itching & burning from time to time. My doctor prescribed Premarin vaginal cream. My doctor is unavailable at the time, so I need to know if the cream is to be used every night for 7 nights and then not again; or is it to be used twice a week and if so, for how long?

Answer:

There are many ways to use Premarin cream.  Assuming you have no contraindications to using estrogen cream, I would recommend you use the smallest amount that solves the problem.  Many women do fine with just 1 gm twice a week. It is thought that using small amounts is safe over an extended period of time, especially when you have had a hysterectomy.  Some women find that after using it for several months, they are able to discontinue it without a return of symptoms.  It would still be good to check with your physician

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology