Frequent nosebleeds and severe headaches

03/26/2008

Question:

HI! I KNOW SOMEONE THAT HAS FREQUENT NOSE BLEEDS, ALONG WITH SEVERE HEADACHES. I`M ALSO TOLD THAT HE HAS EAR, EYE AND MOUTH BLEEDS, BUT I`M NOT SURE. HE IS 16 YEARS OLD AND I THINK THIS STARTED ABOUT 2-3 MONTHS AGO. CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT COULD BE THE CAUSE OF THIS? THANKS!

Answer:

Nose bleeds are of course very common.  Most often the problem relates to dryness and crusting in the nose, and is best treated with humidification.  The bleeding can sometimes be severe enough that blood will pool and come out the mouth, and can even back up into the eye through the tear duct (highly unusual).

On the other hand, teenage boys can sometimes develop a vascular growth or tumor (benign) in the back part of the nose.  These can bleed intermittently and severely, and can be associated with blood draining into the mouth, etc.  I would suggest you have your friend see an ear, nose, and throat physician for further evaluation.

Allen M Seiden, MD Allen M Seiden, MD
Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Division of Rhinology and Sinus Disorders, Director of University Taste and Smell Center, Director of University Sinus and Allergy