Pain in back of the tongue

03/19/2008

Question:

Hi there, I`m experiencing pain in the back of my tongue and have been experiencing it since yesterday. I`ve looked in the mirror and there is no swelling or ulcers. Yet, if I talk too much, the tongue will get worse. It affects me in that if it hurts too much, I can`t speak very much or have trouble swallowing. My doctor seems to think it`s an oral infection. I can`t seem to figure out what to do. The pain gets so bad that it feels like I`m choking. I have fibromyalgia and am wondering if this could be a result of that. If not, what could this be and how do I make it go away?!!

Answer:

It would be difficult to say what is causing the pain without doing an examination. This could be one of several things, including a tongue abscess. You should probably be evaluated by an oral surgeon, an otolaryngologist (ear, nose and throat doctor), or an oral pathologist, especially if the pain lasts longer than one week or if it seems to be getting worse.

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology