Thyroid Diseases

Thyroid Condition Hindering Weight Loss

05/01/2008

Question:

I am a pituitary tumour survivor. I had Cushing`s disease. My cortisol levels are now within the normal range after 17 years of a multitude of medical tests and treatments, including two operations and 5 1/2 weeks of radiation. My question now is: Now that my cortisol is in a "normal" range, will weight loss be easier? I also have a slow thyroid. What do you recommend? I have lost 30 pounds under a low carb diet, but it`s very difficult.

Answer:

Lots of people without Cushing's Disease have difficulty losing weight. If your endocrinologist tells you that your cortisol testing is currently normal, then any difficulty losing weight that you might have is just due to your own personal metabolic rate and has nothing to do with the Cushing's Disease. Similarly, if your underactive thyroid is fully replaced on thyroid hormone pills and your thyroid blood test (free T4) is within normal limits, then your thyroid condition is not contributing anything to your difficulty losing weight.

Go to the Thyroid Diseases health topic, where you can:

Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE