COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

Asthma or emphysema?

03/21/2008

Question:

I am a 52 year old woman who has smoked for around thirty years about 7 cigarettes a day and was recently sent for a spirometry at my doctors this came back good 94% the nurse said better than my predicted for my age etc. I was becoming breathless when speaking, nothing else, but there had been a lot going off at home and I thought it was nerves. The nurse in the doctors gave me salbutomol for reversibility and although my readings remained the same my breathlessness dissappeared for a full day and a half. I was admitted to hosp to get to the bottom of my breathlessness, (no cough, mucus or wheeze) and was sent for a spirometry and (is it gas diffusion box? not sure what its called) The hospital said the results indicated emphysema my doctor said he thought more asthma than emphysema but I am just not sure, here are my results, just wondered if you had any thoughts on them, Thankyou so much I will send them in a seperate e mail as this format will not accept them thankyou. p.s. I aslo had a dilation for achalasia a few years ago just wondered if this can cause breathlessness.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. This question is related to a previously answered question. The link below will connect you to that information.  Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Asthma, emphysema or neither?

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org