Osteoporosis

Post-Menopausal Heart Patient with Osteoporosis

05/12/2008

Question:

I have gone through menopause and have had a number of broken bones since then. I am also 58 years old and have heart problems. I have had bypass surgery for that. I begged my gynacologist to put me on hormone replacement therapy but he refuses to do that because of my heart problems. Menopause can cause osteoporosis since a woman has no estrogen in her body. So what does a post menopausal heart patient with osteoporosis do? Risk broken bones or risk more heart problems?

Answer:

Your gynecologist is right not to start you on estrogen with a heart condition.  You should have a bone density test if you have not already done that, and if you have osteoporosis or significant osteopenia, you should see an expert in osteoporosis for a thorough evaluation.  Depending on the types of fractures you have had, you may be a candidate for an osteoporosis medication.

Go to the Osteoporosis health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology