COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

COPD

05/08/2008

Question:

Hello need help husband has copd for the past 3yrs now He is on all sorts of breathing medications also has a nebulizer that he does 3 times a day. Lately he has been feeling tightness in his chest and more than usual shortness of breath. I am scared is this part of copd that is expeceted? or is this part of end stages of copd. please help me

Answer:

It is hard to answer your question without knowing more about your husband's medical status. Chest tightness and shortness of breath are common symptoms of COPD. Sometimes these symptoms are worse when experiencing a complicating process such as a respiratory infection or heart problem. If there is definitely new or acute worsening of his symptoms, he should be evaluated by his physician.

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Mahasti   Rittinger, RRT Mahasti Rittinger, RRT
Clinical Program Manager of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep