Alzheimer's Disease

Brain Atrophy with Poor Memory

03/28/2008

Question:

I am in my early thirties and have a poor memory compared to most people my age, and this has worsened in the last few years. A recent MRI showed mild, general cortical atrophy, particularly in the apical region. Does this indicate that I may be developing early dementia?

I have also noticed that if skip a meal, such that it feels as though my blood sugar may be low, then my memory worsens, and stays worse for several hours even after eating. Could the brain atrophy make me more sensitive to small fluctuations in blood glucose?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, NetWellness experts try to answer general questions about health. Only a health professional performing a thorough clinical exam is able to evaluate your symptoms. I recommend evaluation by a specialist with expertise in memory and the brain. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Go to the Alzheimer's Disease health topic, where you can:

Robert P Friedland, MD Robert P Friedland, MD
Formerly, Professor of Neurology