Salty taste on tongue and mouth

04/15/2008

Question:

Had a molar extracted with a synthetic graft placed. Two weeks after this procedure, I noticed a salty/bitter taste in mouth and tongue continuously. It is clear and odorless in consistency. My tongue has a raw feeling and a light colored (not patchy) coating on it. My stomach is irritated also from swallowing this drainage. Had been on 3 different courses of PenVK, and thought I may have thrush, but had a culture which was negative. After 4 months of this, I went back to my oral surgeon who opened the gum up to look at the graft which appears normal. Next to the area on either side are 2 teeth with old "silver" fillings which are exposed since that tooth was pulled. Could these fillings be leaking? Could it be some type of sinus drainage? Who shall I seek for a diagnosis. So far, medical MD and oral surgeon are baffled and I am not going to stop until I get a diagnosis.

Answer:

Just to be cautious, I would recommend you seek a second opinion from a different oral and maxillofacial surgeon. Healing problems following tooth extraction are not uncommon and it would be reasonable to first exclude this site as contributing to your symptoms. If the second oral surgeon agrees that the area appears normal, it is possible that you have developed another condition by coincidence that can also have symptoms of taste alterations and feelings of "rawness" especially of the tongue. Additional information about this second condition, known as burning mouth or burning tongue syndrome, will be appended to this reply.

Good luck!

Burning Mouth Syndrome

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology