Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

My grandmother had a cerebral aneurysm ...

03/31/2008

Question:

can it be genetic? I`m 44, had a mild stroke when I was @ 33 supposedly by blood pressure/alcohol consumption(I was having a heated argument at the time)There was paralysis in my left wrist for 6 months, Which I recovered from 6 months later w/o therapy. I`m stubborn & left the hospital after the diagnosis. My Grandmother had a cerebral aneurysm in the `60`s but survived w/emergency surgery. Anyway, I worry because of bad headaches in the same spot on the left side of my head(the same side that I suffer from "lazy eye"). I never get headaches on the right side & when I get these headaches, I`m stressing. After everything that I`ve survived through in life, I can`t succumb(?) to something like this!!!!

Answer:

Your grandmother had an aneurysm. However, you had a stroke. These two entities are relatively different. Having said that, a family history of stroke is a risk factor. Your stroke at this young age is very concerning and deserves a thorough work up to look for the cause. It is very important that you seek care by a neurologist with expertise in stroke for a complete stroke work up. Please, do not ignore this.

Best Regards.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Yousef  Mohammad, MD, MSc Yousef Mohammad, MD, MSc
Director, Stroke Fellowship Program