Root Canals

Pain after root canal

04/02/2008

Question:

Woke up with pain in the molar that had 3 roots removed from , 6 weeks ago. I broke the tooth chewing food and had no prior pain. Now 6 weeks later I have pronounced pain in tooth and radiates up the check bone behind the eye and down the outside of my neck. My tooth was capped and I had no real pain during or after the procedure except for soreness. The pain tires me and I have great difficultly with concentration. Eating and drinking intensifies the pain. I spend all my time attempting to keep my tongue from the tooth as the sensation of my tongue touching the tooth increases the pain. What are my options? I had a really long recovery from wisdom teeth extraction and had problems with pain even after the wisdom teeth were removed. I was told my 4 th root in this molar had calcified and could not be cleaned out when I had the roots removed. Now I have pain in this tooth when I had none before even before it broke. What can be done to eliminate the pain? What can be done to save the tooth? If I must loose my tooth what are my options to fill the avoid in my mouth?

Answer:

I'm not sure about all the details of your tooth problem. You have some contradictory symptoms. What I would recommend is an evaluation by the person who performed your root canal treatment. It is possible that you could be having problems with this tooth but it is also possible that your problems may be originating from another tooth or another area. You can always seek an evaluation by an endodontic specialist as well. I would not worry about losing the tooth until you know what is going on but if you do need to have the tooth extracted there are a few different options for replacement. You can discuss these options with your dentist.

Go to the Root Canals health topic, where you can:

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics