Erectile Dysfunction (ED)

Is it pyschogenic?

04/04/2008

Question:

I am 29 years old. I started getting ED problems about six months ago. I went to 4 urologists and have conducted all the tests. The urologist suggest it is pychogenic. The tests are 1) CBC 2) Urine Analysis 3) Hormone levels (FSH, LH, Test, Prolactin) 4) Penile doppler 5) LFT and Kidney function tests 6) Blood Sugar 7) Thyroid Function Tests

I had been in a vicious circle of depression and anxiety since then. I have rejected all the SSRI`s which is further aggravating the situation. I had been smoking for 10 years, but have recently cut back. The doctor says that the penile doppler has eliminated the chances that smoking has to do with it. I can`t find a way out of this circle. I also had been consuming cannabis and used it almost always before having sex. When I use it, I can have perfect erection with a partner, but since I`ve left it for 4 months, things are different. Previously I used to get erections before masturbating. I`m single and want to get married, but can`t get this thing out of my head. Do all the normal results of all these tests suggest that it`s pychogenic?

Answer:

Yes. These data and the scenario you describe suggest a psychogenic etiology is probably the main cause of your ED.

Go to the Erectile Dysfunction (ED) health topic, where you can:

Allen D Seftel, MD Allen D Seftel, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology