Parkinson's Disease

Shaking hands

04/09/2008

Question:

Hi. My dad is 85 and for about a year now his hands shake. He also shuffles when he walks and says the backs of his legs feel tight. He fell recently and said it felt like his feet were stuck to the floor. I know these signs sound like parkinson`s but he can control the shaking in his hands if he tries to. If he had parkinson`s would he be able to control this shaking? He refuses to go to the doctor`s and i`m worried. Thank ou for your time.

Answer:

The tremor associated with Parkinson's disease is typically a resting tremor. The tremor often decreases with hand movement and use, thus apparent control. The other cardinal features of parkinsonism are slowness of movement, rigidity (often not noticed by the patient) and postural instability. I recommend you urge your father to see his doctor to further evaluate this tremor.

Go to the Parkinson's Disease health topic, where you can:

Punit  Agrawal, DO Punit Agrawal, DO
Assistant Professor of Neurology