Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Addiction and Substance Abuse

Chemical dependency



I crossed over the line with prescribed percocets (10/325mg) over a period of years and they seem to have taken control of my life, and I want off, but can`t seem to do it. Is it possible to wean myself off? I don`t know what to do to get help - Ifound a Dr who is willing to just furnish a prescription for suboxotone but with no monitoring or other help, saying "It`s safe". That scares me. What do you think I should do?


Suboxone is a safe drug which is excellent for stabilizing opiate addicts. However, all doctors who prescribe it are supposed to also refer patients for counseling with an addiction expert and also refer them to Narcotics Anonymous. Another option would be to find a doctor in your area that is certified in Addiction Medicine who can prescribe the Suboxone and actually help you treat your addiction.

Addiction can not be treated with a medication alone. Narcotics Anonymous has a website nationally and usually has a local phone number in the phone book as well. You could also contact your insurance company and ask them for what treatment center near you that they will cover for you to get outpatient treatment along with Suboxone.

I hope this helps.

For more information:

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Edna M Jones, MD, MRO Edna M Jones, MD, MRO
Emeritus Clinical Assistant Professor of Family Medicine
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University