Colorectal Diseases

Lower left abdominal pain

05/22/2008

Question:

About two months ago I started feeling a pressure in my lower left abdominal area. After a week or so, it turned into pain and I also started getting pain on the edge and slightly under my rib cage: in the front left area. Also, in this area I began to get occasional muscle twitching. Around the same time I started having constipation, followed by narrow stools and then diarrhea. At one point it was four days between bowel movements, and this is far out of the ordinary for me. I saw my physician who thought it might be diverticulitis, and he gave me antibiotics which had no effect. Afterwards he wanted me to wait three weeks to see if it would clear up on it`s own.

It hasn`t, but the symptoms have changed somewhat in that time. I`ve been getting a constant churning feeling in my lower left abdominal area, and I have diarrhea 75%-50% of the time. Half of the time it`s black in color. A few times I`ve had the feeling of extreme gas pains accompanied by loud gurgling sounds, which was then quickly followed by diarrhea. The original pain in my left abdominal area has remained the same. I made an appointment with the gastroenterologist my physician referred me to, but it turns out it`ll be a month before he can see me. I was wondering if I should find someone who I can get in sooner with. Currently the diarrhea has lessened, but in the past few days I`ve started feeling extremely fatigued and dizzy.

I`m a 28 year old male. I have no idea if this has any correlation, but before this I had a respiratory infection that lasted for three months. I was given three separate rounds of antibiotics with out any improvement before I decided to wait it out. at the time I was also given a blood test and the only thing that was found was elevated liver function.

Answer:

You should not wait a month to be seen. A CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis would be a good diagnostic tool to help answer the question about what is bothering you.

Go to the Colorectal Diseases health topic, where you can:

Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD
Professor of Surgery
Chief of Colorectal Surgery Division