Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

Leeking without even knowing.

04/15/2008

Question:

My daughter has recently started leeking in her pants 5 to 6 times a day and she doesn`t know that it has happened. She doesn`t wet the bed. It`s just during the day that it`s bad. When she needs to go the toilet she puts her hand down on her pants and runs to the bathroom. Is there something wrong that I don`t know about? She dosen`t drink a lot, so why is this happening to her?

Answer:

It depends on the age. Some children who are toilet trained start to have urinary accidents from an overactive bladder; often they have accidents at night also. In some cases it is from a urinary tract infection, so she should have a urine sample tested for possible infection. If it is an overactive bladder, it generally corrects itself over time. Often urinating every 90 to 120 minutes is helpful. In other cases pelvic floor exercises are necessary, or medication (e.g., Ditropan, Detrol) is helpful. If the leaking continues and there is no infection, a visit to a pediatric urologist might be helpful.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology