Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Lip bump

04/15/2008

Question:

I have a 13 years old son he has what seems like a vein on his bottom lip. I don`t think its hereditary because I dont have a visible vein on my bottom lip and neither does his father. If you put your finger on his lip you can feel it. It`s really lowering his self esteem so im desperately looking any thing to make it go away.

Answer:

Although you can see a vein if it is close to the surface, they are difficult to feel because they are so soft and easily compressible to the touch. Arteries have a sturdy muscle coat that you can readily feel, together with pulsations that come from the beating of the heart.

What you describe sounds like a condition known as caliber-persistent artery. This is really a variation of the normal pattern of blood vessels that places a muscular artery close to the surface of the skin or the mucosa of the mouth. It normally causes no other problems other than possibly cosmetic (unless it is physically traumatized). Although the superficial blood vessel can be removed, such treatment needs to be approached with caution since brisk bleeding would be expected when you cut any artery. A consultation with an oral and maxillofacial surgeon may be a reasonable place to start.

Good luck!

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology