Nose bleeds while coughing

05/06/2008

Question:

When I cough, blood drips from my nose and then when blowing my nose it has bright red blood in the mucous; why is this happening and why is it occurring for over a week?

Answer:

Nose bleeds are common, and usually occur because the nose becomes somewhat dry and irritated.  This will lead to crusting or scabbing in the nose, which will precipitate bleeding quite easily (for example, if you blow your nose, you can tear this crust from the underlying membrane that will cause some bleeding).  The best approach is to humidify the nose with a topical salt water spray, available over the counter in the drug store.  If it continues, I would consult your doctor.

Allen M Seiden, MD Allen M Seiden, MD
Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Division of Rhinology and Sinus Disorders, Director of University Taste and Smell Center, Director of University Sinus and Allergy