Gynecology

Uterine polyp

04/25/2008

Question:

My pap smear showed atypical glandular cells. As a result, my doctor performed a colposcopy and took a biopsy of the cervix and uterus. The cervical biopsy showed low grade changes in the cell, but the endometrial biopsy was benign. The doctor then had me come in for a sonogram. The sonogram showed a potential polyp so she now wants me to come in for a sonohistogram. According to the doctor, if the sonohistogram shows a polyp, the polyp may explain the pap smear result. In addition, she would remove it surgically. I have had no physical symptoms related to uterine polyps and the doctor would not have even found the polyp but for the tests she has done because of the pap smear. Is it necessary to have it removed if such a polyp is found? Thanks!

Answer:

Since the polyp may be the cause of the abnormal cells, you need to have the polyp removed and evaluated for any precancerous or cancerous changes. Also, the older you are, the more significant the finding is.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education