Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

African American Health

Any Specialist in Skin Cancer for Blacks?



Diagnosed as having skin cancer by two different doctors who say they previously had never seen the disease in an African American, my relatively dark skinned, 80-year-old mother wonders whether she should consult a doctor with experience treating the disease among blacks, as a racially related genetic component may well be involved. How might such an expert be found. Does the involved area of practice have recognized leaders?


Skin cancer is less common in people with darker skin but it does occur. Evaluation and treatment of skin cancer does not differ based on skin color. I would recommend a physician who has experience treating skin cancer. Mohs surgeons are physicians with extensive training in the treatment of skin cancer. Even if the skin cancer does not require mohs surgery (a highly specialized procedure used to treat high risk skin cancers) a fellowship trained mohs surgeon will know the best treatment options available. Visit The American College of Mohs Surgery and to Find a Surgeon Near You.

For more information:

Go to the African American Health health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Jeremy S Bordeaux, MD, MPH Jeremy S Bordeaux, MD, MPH
Assistant Professor of Dermatology
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University