Gum Diseases

Bone grafting - reattaching flap

04/23/2008

Question:

I had bone grafting done three weeks ago on both sides of my face. I noticed that the right side (teeth nos.4 & 5) are healing nicely but the other side (teeth nos. 11 & 12) still seems sore. Also the gum above the teeth seems to overlap when it was placed back. I am concerned that the gums have not been reattached properly. Will I heal normally?

Thank you.

Answer:

The three weeks period is still early to determine treatment outcome following bone grafting. I cannot figure out whether you had this procedure around your natural teeth to increase periodontal tissue support, or you had it at the edentulous area to increase the bone support for a future implant. In any case, the major concern is exposure of the biomaterial during healing. It happens in approximately 30% of the cases, and if you have it, treatment outcome will be compromised (it will have an effect on how much of the biomaterial will be replaced with actual bone).

Again, it is early to say. Your doctor will evaluate both sites approximately within 6 months with X-rays to determine bone height and bone density. Meantime, if it is still sore and you experience pain or swelling, you should call your doctor and ask to be seen for any possible complication.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology