Parkinson's Disease

Cause of Parkinson`s (2)

04/24/2008

Question:

Is there any way to see this coming, falling backwards,? I haven`t talked to my physician yet about this, but it could just be a fluke. I have none of the other symptoms, but cannot be falling backwards all the time, if I do have a problem with Parkinsons. Should I see an ear nose and throat doctor regarding balance?

Answer:

There are numerous causes for someone to have frequent loss of balance. I suggest you discuss further evaluation of this issue with your doctor.

Parkinson's disease is diagnosed based on history and clinical examination findings of the cardinal features. These include:

Postural instability is a feature of the disease that is not typically seen early. Thus, in the setting of not having any other features of parkinsonism, it warrants investigation of other potential causes.

Unfortunately, medications are of minimal help for imbalance related to Parkinson's disease or other causes. Physical therapy focusing on balance training and fall prevention is often the most helpful. In addition, engaging in daily balance exercises or even Tai Chi can be of further benefit.

Go to the Parkinson's Disease health topic, where you can:

Punit  Agrawal, DO Punit Agrawal, DO
Assistant Professor of Neurology