Dental and Oral Health (Seniors)

What happens if I don`t have Osseous Surgery?

04/25/2008

Question:

My Peridontist says the tooth that is attached to my bridge needs the surgery or I will lose more teeth. It will only take a few minutes to do it and replace bone. However, my income for a month is only 1200 and they want 1045 for the procedure. Is this a fair price and have I been given the correct information? Should I get second opinion? I am 75 years old and a CA resident. Thank you.

Answer:

Bone replacement (bone graft) is a procedure that can save teeth if is done on time. I don't know if this is what you need without a clinical evaluation. My philosophy is that you should always get a second or third opinion. Bone graft is normally an expensive procedure. If you want to save some money go to the closest dental school in your area and look for the periodontics residents or a periodontics residency program. They can do a good job. They are graduate dentist that are doing a residency program. They always work under the supervision of faculty members and you will save at least half of the money.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Seniors) health topic, where you can:

Alfredo  Hernandez, DDS, MS Alfredo Hernandez, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Comprehensive Care
School of Dental Medicine