Sarcoidosis

Are These Symptoms Of Sarcoidosis?

04/28/2008

Question:

Following the appearance of various skin nodules, scar lesions and lung granulomas, I was diagnosed with sarcoidosis a few weeks ago. Last year my eyebrows started thinning and partly loosing and I wonder if this can be related to my sarcoidosis. I haven`t found any reference to this symptoms on the web but my doctors seem to consider it as part of the disease. Do you know of any similar case? Thanks in advance for your reply and consideration

Answer:

There are many causes of hair loss, including certain medications used to treat sarcoidosis (e.g., methotrexate, cyclophosphamide, etc.) and other diseases (e.g., hypothyroidism, lupus, etc.), and these should be considered. Sarcoidosis can cause hair loss, but there are usually signs of active inflammation of the skin in the areas of hair loss.

Given the many causes of hair loss, I would recommend that you see you see your doctor to evaluate this further.

Sincerely,

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine