Trouble waking up

05/12/2008

Question:

As long as I can remember, I have had trouble waking up. I hit the alarm sometimes for almost an hour straight before getting up. I know this just makes me more tired and will make me late and get me in trouble, but I just can`t manage to get up. I was always late in high school. In college, I couldn`t get up, even if my first class wasn`t until noon. I was late almost every single day for the job I worked for 2 years. It was 6am shift, and I did sometimes get to bed to late, but I find even now if I get 5, 6, or 9 hours of sleep I can still not just get up. I even moved away form gloomy Ohio to sunny AZ. It`s sunny as heck when I get wake up and I still can`t do it. On the weekends, I can sleep 12 hours and still want to sleep more. I thought maybe it could be delayed sleep phase syndrome, because I can usually stay up pretty late, and sometimes have trouble falling asleep, and never really get to bed when I want to. I used to be a bartender in college, where I was up until 3-5am most nights. Then I switched to a job where I had to be up at 5am every day. I always thought I was just lazy, or unmotivated, or didn`t want to get up because I hate my job, which it could be, but lately I`ve been thinking it could be sleep disorder-related. About the only time I can wake up on time is when I have something super important in the morning and wake up about every hour on the hour because I`m nervous about missing it, so I never really sleep then anyways. Please help, my job and future depend on it.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. A question similar to yours has been previously addressed. The links below will connect you to that information. NetWellness may also have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Sleep too soundly
Unable to wake up
Trouble awakening - I can't hear alarms or anything else

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org