Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Spine and Back Health

Lower back and pelvic pain



I was in a car accident about a month ago and I have numbness in my right big toe and tingling in my other toes. I also have pain in my right hip and leg and in my pelvis when I have sex. The doctor at emegrency said that I had a bruised spine and sprained lower back and right hip. Could this cause my symptoms and what kind of doctor should I see?


Hello, thank you for your question. Whether your symptoms could be caused by the diagnosis you’ve been given is something I can’t answer. Only a qualified health care provider who has examined you and taken a full history can do that. If you are still in pain, you should see your primary care physician. If you don’t have a primary care physician, you should get one. If that’s not possible, you could go to a drop-in clinic or urgent care clinic. What kind of doctor you should see depends on your diagnosis and exam findings. You might eventually need referral to a pain management specialist, a physiatrist (also known as a “rehab doc”), or possibly an orthopedic specialist, but that depends on what your doctor finds. Good luck.

For more information:

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

Response by:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University