Braces

Fixing midline discrepancy?

05/12/2008

Question:

Hi Doctor

I am wondering if a 2mm midline discrepancy can be fixed by fixing braces on the bottom row of teeth ONLY?

Due to financial issues I only had top braces done in the past. If fixing the midline discrepancy requires me to have braces on both rows, I am not sure if it is worth fixing due to the costs involved.

What detrimental effects can result from this condition? My left jaw has always been looser and more prone to clicking than the right. Maybe this is due to the midline discrepancy?

Answer:

A midline discrepancy cannot be corrected in one arch. You would have to have braces on both the upper and lower teeth to correct this problem. There are no known problems that arise from a midline discrepancy and many orthodontists would not recommend correcting the problem if the upper dental midline is in the center of the face.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Mark G Hans, DDS, MSD Mark G Hans, DDS, MSD
Professor of Orthodontics
School of Dental Medicine