Urinary Disorders

Passing kidney stones with bladder infection

05/16/2008

Question:

Hello. I have passed two finger nail size kidney stones within a year and with those two kidney stones I also had a bladder infection each time I passed the stones. Is that common with stones? With the last stone I had passed I also had a little blood in my urine. Would that be because of passing the stone? Is there anything they can do to help someone who has kidney stones all the time and have so much pelvis and back pain that I`m always miserable. Is there a process thay can do to get rid of the pain and other stones I may have? Would appreciate your advice. I am seeing a urologist and all he does is send me for cat scans and has cleaned me out, but that`s all he has done.  It didn`t even help. Please help me with what I should do. Thanks

Answer:

Symptoms of urinary tract infections can occur when an individual has a stone in the lower ureter. A metabolic evaluation can be performed to help determine why you are forming stones and determine what medical intervention (non-surgical) may help to prevent stone formation. I would suggest that you follow up with your urologist.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Donald R Bodner, MD Donald R Bodner, MD
Professor of Urology