I have one blister on the roof of my mouth.

05/30/2008

Question:

I have had a severe cough for about 3 weeks. I also have a runny nose, and sometimes a sore throat. I was told that this is due to allergy`s season. This morning I woke up to find only one blister like bump on the roof of my mouth close to the back of my throat. Now I don`t think that I have allergies; I`m not sure if it could be oral herpes. I thought that herpes causes several blisters and not just one. I have been tested about 6 months ago and I was negitive. I haven`t had sex sence then but I have kissed women after the test. could I get herpes like that, and would that cause the coughing and runny nose?

Answer:

What you are describing would not be features of oral herpes infection. The most likely diagnosis for this "blister" would be a superficial mucocele. This lesion develops when one of the small tubes (ducts) carrying saliva from a minor salivary gland in the palate to the surface gets disrupted. This results in the saliva being spilled under the lining of the mouth, producing a single, painless, blister-like lesion. This is harmless and nothing to worry about. If you want confirmation of this diagnosis, you should see an oral pathologist.

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology