Root Canals

Why does it still hurt?

05/22/2008

Question:

I had a root canal done 2 months ago when the dentist filled in the temporary filling a few days later I started experiencing major pain. I went back into the office and the dentist opened up the hole and it was totally infecyed I have been doing this for 2 months now and the xrays don`t show there being anything wrong. My tooth hurts to the touch and constantly throbs. As a last resort I have been put on Levaquin. Could it be that I have a stubborn infection ? Should I just give up and have the tooth pulled?

Answer:

I would not recommend just giving up and having the tooth pulled until you have exhausted all of your options. If you have not yet sought an evaluation by an endodontist, please do. Endodontists are dentists with additional education in diagnosis and root canal treatment. Because they limit their practices to endodontics, they treat these types of problems every day. They use their special training and experience in treating difficult cases.

Go to the Root Canals health topic, where you can:

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics