Protein leak

06/09/2008

Question:

I was just told by my doctor that I am leaking a not so good amount of protein from my kidneys. He is a family doctor, not a specialist. I have done some reserch on my own. I`d like to know if there is a time frame for things to happen (kidney failure). I do know it won`t be exact, but can you tell me any kind of time for the 5 stages of kidney failure? 

Answer:

There are many types of kidney disease and many causes of protein leakage.  Some types of kidney disease are very serious and progress quickly toward a need for dialysis, while others are less serious and progress slowly or not at all.  If you can provide the following information about yourself, I may possibly be able to give you a better idea of what to expect:

Below, please see the link to a NetWellness article on some very basic information about chronic kidney disease.  In the meantime, you should definitely be under the care of a nephrologist (kidney specialist), in addition to your family doctor.  Please ask your doctor to refer you to one as soon as possible.

Basic Information About the Kidneys

Mildred   Lam, MD Mildred Lam, MD