Salivary gland and Eustachian tubes clogged

06/16/2008

Question:

I have cronic problems with clogged eustachian tubes, which cause extreme itching behind the ear. Also I have cronic problems with my salivary gland swelling and causing pain. All of the salivary glands have been affected, but not necessarily at the same time. Steroid shots and antibiotics help temporarily. I have had these problems for over three years. I do take thyroid medication for hypothyroidism. Could this be related? Any help is appreaciated. Thanks

Answer:

You sound like you may have an autoimmune disorder.

Someone with low thyroid function (hypothyroidism) and numerous salivary gland problems concerns me for an autoimmune process.

I recommend that you see a rheumatologist and get blood work, such as ESR, ANA, RF, etc.

This may or may not be related to your Eustachian tube dysfunction. You should also see an otolaryngologist for that condition.

Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS
Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Skull Base Surgery Fellowship, Director of Adults Cochlear Implantation Program